Wednesday, October 20, 2004

It was a dark and stormy night ...

Well, not night precisely, but if you count that interlude just before the dawn as night, then night it was. Stormy, certainly. I was wearing my rain coat, hood up. My universe was restricted to a meagre pool of light at my feet cast by the torch that I held in my right hand, and the beating of the rain upon my head. No fencing last night, a mix up with the days, but it was probably just as well as my shoulder still hurt when I stretched it too far.

I trudged along, lost in thought, plots and characters competing for attention. I am going to have to spend next week putting an outline together to give me something to aim for. It's like a programming project - a large problem needs to broken down into discrete chunks that can be tackled one at a time. I can see where the starting point is, but I don't yet have an end point. Terry Pratchett once compared writing a story as being like digging a railway tunnel. You have to work from both ends at the same time, and hope that if you have planned it correctly you will meet up in the middle somewhere.

No comments: